Goal: To improve commune council governance in response to the needs of their citizens.
Specific objectives include:
1. Citizens, particularly women, feel empowered to voice their concerns within their
2. Village Leaders have more knowledge of good governance and gender equality, and
can provide better support and leadership for citizens;
3. Commune Councils have improved knowledge of good governance and gender
equality, and are more approachable and inclusive of community participation.
This project is run in Preah Sihanouk project wit the aim to decrease or prevent HIV/AIDS
amongst the most at risk populations – including TG and MSM.
KWCD staff conduct targeted outreach to help change risky behaviors and attitudes related
to HIV/AIDS. They aim to engage members of the target groups in discussions about
HIV/AIDS prevention and ensure services and products are easily available and accessible
The project also aims to build partnership with the Government and other non-government
institutions to create an enabling environment for HIV/AIDS prevention amongst the target
KWCD is working in Sihanouk Ville, Prey Nup and Stueng Hav Districts in Preah Sihanouk Provinces in order to strengthen the capacity of poor fishing community’s women and include people living with HIV/AIDS (PLHIV) by helping the consolidation of women’s empowerment group. The foundation of the previous project success comes from the 29 women’s empowerment groups, with a total of approximately 954 members. This is pursued throughout different development lines:
• By promoting mutual recognition among all actors: community based organizations (CBOs) and local authorities in order to harmonize the development process at the local level
• By accompanying the women’s empowerment groups along the process of strengthening business
• By maintaining a gender focus in all actions to guarantee that the progresses made are equally redistributed among the beneficiaries.